Monday, June 12, 2017

Nativity Silhouette


Hi, Lois here today with a Christmas card.  I realize this is June, but I saw a tutorial for a very cool technique a couple of weeks ago and wanted to give it a try on a Christmas card.  I used a very nice CottageCutz Nativity Silhouette die and Faith Phrase, one of the new Expressions Plus dies on my card.


To begin my card, I cut a piece of navy cardstock 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" and scored it at 4 1/4".  In addition I cut a piece of silver cardstock 4" x 5 1/4" and a piece of watercolor paper 4 1/2" x 5 3/4".


The dies I used were CottageCutz Nativity Silhouette and Faith Phrase, both of which were cut from silver cardstock.  I cut a second Faith Phrase from gray cardstock.


I ran the silver Faith Phrase through my Xyron X sticker maker and glued it to the gray die-cut.  This gave a little more dimension to the phrase.


At this point, I watched the tutorial again for a very cool technique -- Galaxy Background.  There are several U-Tube videos explaining this technique.  The one I used was by Christine Riley.  Here is a link to her video.  This is the result of my attempt. 


Then I constructed my card.  After I had it completed, I decided that I wanted a bit more contrast between the ground and the sky; so I die cut a portion of the Nativity Silhouette from a piece of white cardstock and inset the pieces at the bottom of the card.  I liked that so much better.


Here again  is my completed card.


Dies used on this card are:


http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutznativitysilhouette4x4.aspx



http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzexpressionsplusfaithphrase.aspx

7 comments:

Anja Ž. said...

What a beautiful background, Lois! I will put this tutorial on my list of things I must try. It really gives a nice result.And I love how you combined the phrase with the nativity scene.

Janja said...

So festive and beautiful. Seriously wonderful card, Lois.

SugarShine Designs said...

I am definitely going to look up that background because it is gorgeous! Lovely card all around.

Pam MacKay said...

Absolutely fabulous background it is so perfect for the manger scene! I am going to have to give that tutorial a try!

Bev Polen said...

Lois, your card is outstanding! I love the beautiful background you created for the wonderful nativity scene! Great job, Lois!!

Tam said...

nice job!

Mary Marsh said...

beautifully done Lois - the galaxy background is amazing-creative idea to use it for a nativity scene-the sky was ablaze on that special night