Saturday, January 07, 2017

Valentine Love Cards + Sketch

Hello Scrapping Cottage friends! Thanks for taking the time to stop and visit today. It's Mary Marsh here bringing you the Saturday edition of the Blog. Since this is my first post of 2017, I would like to send Happy New Year wishes to all of our Blogging Friends.

It's definitely time to start thinking about your Valentine cards. I send them out to my family and friends. They like receiving them and being thought of on this love day. So I have 2 cards for your viewing pleasure today. I am using the same layout and mostly the same stamps on each card.

So lets get started on some details of how I created both cards.

Red Card Base: 4 1/4" x 5 1/2"
Patterned Paper Layer: 4 1/8" x 5 3/8"
Red Layer For Image Panel: 3 1/2" x 4 1/2"
Image Panel: 3 3/8" x 4 1/4"

My layout is from this week's sketch #626 on Splitcoaststampers. I used it on both of my cards.
Once I decided on this card layout, I chose my patterned paper and that determined by card colors. I cut all the layers and then the die cuts. I am using the new Love Bow & Arrow die which will be in the online store soon for purchasing.
 
Before I assembled my image panel, I stamped my sentiment. The stamp was a bit to long for this panel so I masked part of it off and stamped it on 2 lines. I used my MISTI tool to accomplish this. Although any stamp positioner would work as well. I placed the bottom heart on the panel so I would have an idea of where to place my sentiment.  
 
 

For the long rectangle strip in the sketch, I used pink cardstock measuring 3/4" x 5 1/2" and a heart embossing folder for added texture.
 
I added my die cut images. You will notice on the sketch photo they have circles. When you use a sketch it's a starting point. You can always substitute the images. As long as your finished card resembles the sketch your good.  After I assembled my card, I thought the image panel looked bare. So I scattered some love words and hearts to finish it off. I was happy with the finished card.
 
 
On my 2nd card, I used the same sketch so the panel measurements are the same as above. I changed up the colors to black and red.  For this image panel I used a white corrugated paper I found in my stash. And, instead of using patterned paper, I used a hearts embossing folder. The Happy Valentine's Day die is also another new die and will be in the online store soon.
 
 
 
 I decided to make a substitute on the circles in the sketch on this card also. I used 2 die cut images and then the "V' from the Happy Valentine's Day die cut served as the middle shape. And that completed this 2nd card. I hope I have given you some inspiration for your Valentine cards. As soon as the new dies are in the store, I will update this blog post.
 
Until next time..........inky hugs.

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzlovebowandarrow.aspx

http://www.scrappingcottage.com/cottagecutzhappyvalentinesdayphrase.aspx




5 comments:

Janja said...

Oh how cute they are!

Lois said...

I love that, while they use the same layout, these two cards are totally different. So cute, Mary!

Sukie said...

Very pretty cards! I love your take on the sketch and those dies are gorgeous!

karen said...

Love these new dies and your cards are beautiful!
Karen

Anita Kejriwal said...

a pretty valentines day card